The GLOBSEC Forum 2018 – one of the most important conferences on security and foreign policy in Central Europe took place on 17-19 May in Bratislava. GLOBSEC Forum has grown into one of the top strategic forums worldwide for connecting the realms of politics, academia, the non-government sector, and business. Indeed, political and social developments in the transatlantic area, Middle East, and other regions underline the need for a truly global policy-making platform. GLOBSEC Forum has become an essential meeting place for political and business leaders, visionaries and innovators that share a common goal: a determination to make the world a better and safer place.
The key theme of this year’s conference edition was Adapting the Future. The conference brought together politicians and experts from almost all over the world who tried to respond to the growing challenges for business, technology and society. The panellists tried to answer the following questions:
- Are we facing competition between countries in the field of AI development?
- How will the development of AI affect relations between countries and the development of their economies?
- What is the future of cyberspace?
- How will cyber influence the development of democracy?
The organizers invited many important guests to face these as well as more complex questions on security, among others in the Middle East and the Korean Peninsula.
- Scott Carpenter, Managing Director, Jigsaw
- Melissa Hathaway, President of Hathaway Global Strategies LLC and former advisor to US Presidents Barak Obama and George W. Bush
- Tze Yun Leong, Director of AI Technology at AI.SG, Singapore
- Kilian Kleinschmidt, Founder of the Innovation and Planning Agency
- Joseph Nye, a world leading political scientist
- Jeffrey Sachs, a leading American economist and Director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University
- Erin Marie Saltman, Policy Manager, EMEA Counterterrorism & CVE at Facebook
The conference was also attended by Paweł Fleischer, who participated in the GLOBSEC 2018 Young Leaders Forum, as well as seminars devoted to PESCO and the development of new NATO defence capabilities.